Monday, May 18, 2015

Time to Move On!

I can't believe that 26 years have passed since I finished my student teaching and could hardly wait to find out when I would have my very own classroom and group of students.  What was really unusual is that after a few days, I knew immediately what I ultimately wanted.  I wanted to be an elementary Principal.  I felt that I could help as many people as possible rather than one classroom at a time.  Blink... and here I am ready to let go of all that I have worked so hard for and hoped to accomplish.  But, it is time with all the myriad of changes taking place for 2015-16 to give someone else a chance to take our campus and our kids to the next higher level.
So, how as an aspiring teacher do you get to an administrative position?  Suggestions for those of you who endeavor this goal are as follows:
1. Identify at least one or two types of entry level positions you will pursue.  What is your final goal and how do you plan to make steps to get there?
2. Have a plan.  Applicants who are prepared and ready to pursue opportunities are the ones who get those positions.  Be ready.
3. Research.  Most administrative positions require that you must possess several specific years of teaching.  What does the position require that you are pursuing?
4. Be confident!  Successful teachers with a strong ethic frequently move into administration after just a few years of teaching.
5.  Communicate with others.  Tell others what you are looking for and why.  Getting the word out and networking is instrumental to finding that job you want.   Tell your Principal what your plans are so that they can support you.  And get your Resume ready!   Blog about your profession and goals!
6.  Join a professional organization to learn and grow!
7.  Participate in committees.  It's great experience and you may learn something new! Present at workshops.
8.  Support others...ask your administration if they have any future opportunities where you can learn and demonstrate your ability (i.e. summer school, Saturday School, and more).
9. Last keep records of what/where you have applied.  Keep track of interviews and where you have followed up.  Don't give up, there is a place for us all out there.

And, before you know it, you'll "blink" and it will be 26+ years and you'll be prepared to turn the challenges over to someone new.
I wish you the best of luck in your search and endeavors!


No comments:

Post a Comment