Friday, August 8, 2014

Strategies for Close Reading

Reading is a subject that is near and dear to my heart, mostly likely because I have always loved reading.  I have a difficult time understanding why most of the students at our campus have trouble with comprehension skills and do not love reading as I do.  Is it because technology has turned us away from the desire to read?  I utilize technology and welcome its advances, but I still love to read.  So, my thoughts are that technology is not the culprit.
One of my primary goals for this year will be to raise the reading scores of my campus.  Our math scores have continued to rise for the past few years, but our reading scores are flat lining.  When taking into consideration the cause and effect of the current trend of flat reading scores, I have looked for resources to address the issue.  One of the most recommended resources is Notice & Note, Strategies for Close Reading by Kylene Beers & Robert E. Probst.  I fell in love with the very first page, "The text awakens associations in the reader's mind, and out of the mix, meaning is created.  It resides neither in the text nor in the reader's mind, but in the meeting of the two."  That is exactly the way I process what I read.  I want my students to have a love and joy of reading just as I do.  (And higher reading scores.)  I am looking forward to finding out from this resource how to get us there and sharing this with my staff.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment